Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heavies conditioning for gasification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB500

Civil/Environmental
Dec 24, 2005
IT
I started a work identifying three different "streams" of oily residuals that can be theorically conditioned by blending and make amenable as feedstock for a pilot gasifier, whose output must be syngas for electricity.

Let me know what You guys think of the following:
1) Traditional Bottom Of The Barrel Streams composed of visbroken tar, heavy vacuum gasoil (HVGO), petcoke and heavy cycle oil (HCO).
2) Slurries: tank bottom sludge, other refinery residues including bitumen heavies, non classified distillation residues and organic wastes
3) Post-consumer spent lube oils, metalworking hydraulic fluids and oily emulsions

The main driver for such selection of feeds is the chemistry of these streams which allows for the co-production of asphalt and bitumen grades, thus rising the overall attractivity of the project if any.

Just admit for a moment that it is economically convenient to collect, transport and condition off-site and outside battery limits these streams separately, what do You think are the most challenging or less feasible features of waste-to-fuel conditioning of such a mix of wastes? Should I take into account severe thermal cracking or can I rely on mild reprocessing and some sort of blending?

Please consider we are in Italy and not in Canada! (I mean we would have never considered this if we had all those oil sands bitumen reserves available!)

I m here online to give You any other detailed information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok. Now I keep them slurries, pumpable, so I eliminate the emulsified oils extracted from spent lubricants, I do not trust their performance once decoupled from their mixed formulated bonds. The problem is transferred down the pipeline to the nozzles and reactor lining; combustion is meant to solve it. Thanks very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back