Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heavy Load, small container

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandrill22

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2010
US
I'm looking for something to hang off of the structure below. I need it to be loaded incrementally to 300 lbs. I am planning to use lead shot to weigh it, which would be a volume of about 3 gallons.

I can't find a pale, drum, or anything like that to meet my needs. The pipe I have in there doesn't seem like the best idea.

Volume: 3 gallons
Weight: 300 lbs
Needs a lid
Needs to be hung from a hook
test_whole_e1pqed.png

test_zoom_pashdy.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about a long rod with a loop hock at the top and a plate at the bottom.
Then use solid disks with slots on them, depending on weight needed use steel (cheapest) or Cu (a bit heavier) or make cans with slots in them filled with lead shot.
6" diameter steel bar is 91#/ft, loose a little with the slot and say 88#/ft, so it would take 3'5" to make your 300#.
You can make the rod and base to be your starting weight, and your stacking weights in some chosen fixed increment.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

I have scrapped antique scale weights, they worth more as scrap.
Search for scale weights. The old ones were cast and they would say 1000# (but actually weigh 20$, or whatever the multiplication factor was) so you need to check the actual weight.
Though making them wouldn't be a big deal if you have a machine shop. This doesn't require precision.

P.E. Metallurgy

I wish I could just machine it, but the other people watching me wouldn't approve of that. The problem is that the lab weights don't usually reach 300 lbs.

We used 4"x4" square for our creep tester weights. We took long lengths (8') and milled a slot into them and then cut into handleable (20-25#) sections. We had a couple of tons of these around the shop. The ones that we used the most actually had handles welded onto them and were stamped with the actual weight (after they had been adjusted to give nice numbers).
Would a local machine shop do this for you? I can't see it costing that much.

P.E. Metallurgy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back