Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-HMS and Reaches as Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsSis

Civil/Environmental
Apr 3, 2015
US
hello,
I've only been using HMS for a little over a year now, so I may not have come across this in the program yet. I have a drainage area flowing through a double 24" RCP. Can I analyze the RCP as a reach in HMS? Once the water flows this double pipe, it combines with water which has flowed out of a detention basin, and continues flowing down the highway ditch and into a large RCB further downstream.

Because I have a detention basin, I'm using the the NRCS or SCS method of computing the volume and peak flow. How can I use this method for the double pipe?

Thank you,
BillsSis
Oklahoma

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends of what you're looking for to model.

I'd rather use a culvert model (e.g. HydroCulv, HY-8) and input the peak flow (or else depending on what you're looking for) in it.

BillSis - I recall in HEC-1 you can model/route sewer systems with Kinematic Wave Routing. I am not sure if that option is in HMS.

Thank you SMIAH and GBAM. I think I'm going to analyze the pipes in Modified Puls Method, similar to a Reservoir Routing. Come up with a stage-storage and stage-discharge tables/curves and Inflow hydrograph and use them to come up with the outflow, based on the configurations of the pipes.

Thank you for your thoughts. Sometimes it helps to just blurt out a question and see what happens! In this case, I asked and did additional research afterwards on my own before coming up with this solution.

BillSis[wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back