Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-HMS: Basic Student Questions vs MODFLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjhatt

Civil/Environmental
Aug 26, 2015
US
I have a professor who has asked me to design an example problem for him using HEC-HMS. However I'm having trouble converting his given hypothetical study area originally designed for a MODFLOW cell x cell example into HEC-HMS. I was hoping somebody could help me by clearing up a few questions.

1. Does HEC-HMS use a cell x cell process similar to MODFLOW?
2. Can you adjust ground surface area / aquifer depth in HEC-HMS (say I want to add a ridge to one corner of my study area)?
3. Can you set areas of no flow in HEC-HMS (in modflow this would be similar to setting a cell to 0 for inactive)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

modflo is a 3-dimensional groundwater flow model, HMS is a 1-dimensional surface water hydrology model. I'm not sure HMS will do anything you want

FLO-2D has a similar finite element approach to two dim surface flow. Could your professor be getting HMS confused with FLO-2D?

FLO-2D is also for surface flow. we use it extensively but never for groundwater analysis.

from FLO-2D website said:
FLO-2D Basic can tackle many diverse flooding problems including:
River overbank flooding
Unconfined alluvial fan flows
Urban flooding with street flow, flow obstruction and storage loss
Overland progression of tsunami and hurricane storm surges
Watershed rainfall and runoff
Flood insurance studies
Flood mitigation design

again, I dont believe it has the desired capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.