Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-HMS modeling Reservoir with both spillways and pumps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekenny_G

Civil/Environmental
Apr 16, 2012
US
I am looking to model a watershed with a reservoir. In addition to the direct precipitation runoff, the reservoir is also receiving pumped inflow from nearby wastewater facility.
The reservoir has an emergency spillway weir and also a pump discharging at a constant flow rate (apprx. 15cfs).
Anyway to include the pump discharge and the spillway weir at same time in the model?
I don't have any details on the pump other than its activated once the normal pool is exceeded by 1-ft and its constant cfs.
Can I add the constant discharge from the pump to the rating curve for the spillway weir?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

gbam, the only info i have on the pump is the pumping rate of 15 cfs and is activated once the water level in the reservoir starts rising ~1ft above normal water level. I have the rating curve for the spillway weir (stage-discharge table). My question is can I add the constant pumping rate of 15cfs to each stage of the spillway rating curve for a combined outflow rating?

You can use the pump information to establish a rating curve for the pump then you need a rating for the spillway and combine them into a single curve to enter into HMS. Should be fine.

Like this, example
WSE Pump Spill Comb
(ft) (cfs) (cfs) (cfs)
1000 0 0 0
1001 15 0 15
1002 15 0 15
1003 15 0 15
1004 15 20 35
1005 15 500 515
1006 15 1000 1015
1007 15 10000 10015

Status