Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-RAS and Dam Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rye1

Civil/Environmental
Jul 11, 2007
US
I did a search of the site before posting and it seemed like most of the HEC-RAS Dam Breach discussions were from years back. I recently spent a lot of time getting up to speed and creating a Dam Breach Analysis with version 6.2. My model uses a storage area for the lake and a 2D model downstream. It seemed to work really well but the output options are not as detailed as I would have thought. Is there a "standard" method starting to appear in the industry? I'm in North Carolina and dam safety is started to require inundation maps using HEC-RAS and being signed by a PE....and that is about all of the guidance there appears to be.

Robert Billings, PE, PH, CFM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@ Rye1
For Dam breaches in HEC-RAS, you would normally show before breach and after breach inundation map. Then followed by map showing the increase in Depth as a result of the breach wave. Normally, terminate the model where the difference between base and breach wave is less than 1ft or converge. Are you doing Rain on Grid for the downstream 2D using breach flow hydro graph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back