Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-RAS ENCROACHMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhiw

Civil/Environmental
Jun 12, 2008
US
Using HEC-RAS method 4 to determine encroachments for floodway definition, seting target ws elev as shown in Application Guide, Example 6. But response seems backwards: increasing target elev results in smaller topwidth (as expected) but lower ws. Decreasing target elev results in larger topwidth but higher ws.

I can see that as encroachment increases, main channel n value (lower than overbank n) starts to dominate, overcoming reduced area for greater flow and lower elevation. But I don't see where to go from here. WS elev response seems to be from d/s x-sects, rather than x-sect of interest.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is true. In order to get the WSE at the section of interest to match the tolerance desired (1 foot higher than 100-year WSE for most states, but only 0.2 feet higher for NJ), you do have to move the encroachments outward on the downstream sections. I pulled my hair out on this too, but it takes time to smooth the encroachments out and get the best difference for each section. Just keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back