Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-RAS: Ineffective flow limits for bridges at channel bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg2010

Civil/Environmental
Jun 22, 2010
US
I am working on a HEC-RAS analysis for a roadway widening project where we will be adding a second bridge downstream of the existing bridge. The existing bridge will remain in place. The HEC-RAS model for the existing bridge did not include ineffective flow areas, so I am updating the model to include them upstream and downstream of the bridge (among other things).

The creek bends approximately 45 degrees just downstream of the bridges. I have run some preliminary calcs for the length of contraction and expansion, as well as the contraction and expansion ratios. I have attached a .jpg of the cross section locations, along with approximate ineffective flow limits (assuming there was no bend in the downstream channel) - as you can see from the .jpg, the left ineffective flow limit would almost completely block the downstream channel by the time the flow has fully expanded.
DRPRRD99-ENGTIPS_joexaa.jpg

My question - is there any guidance available on how to adjust the inefective flow limits to account for this bend in the downstream channel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to identify the direction that water is flowing, which isn't perpendicular to your bridge. Your bridge is skew. Align your ineffective flow areas to the skew angle. I would consider the water flow to be oriented at something like your left 22.5-deg expansion limit, and would rotate the expansion and contraction reaches about that axis.

It's not a great alignment, and to paraphrase Jaws, I think you're going to need a bigger bridge. [ponytails]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back