Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-RAS Modeling: Bypass Culvert as Lateral Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

djstrick110

Civil/Environmental
Feb 16, 2009
US
I'm using HEC-RAS to model a floodplain in which a drainage ditch splits at a point, then recombines some distance downstream. I've attached a schematic of the system showing what I'm calling the Main Reach and the Bypass Reach. After the split (XSEC 11+12), the Main Reach routes through a series of open ditches and driveway crossing culverts to my downstream limit. The Bypass Reach is a double-barrel culvert which flows away from the Main Reach, then recombines with the Main Reach at a junction structure (XSEC 6+39). What I'm trying to do is model the Bypass Culvert as a lateral structure in order to calculate the flow split at 11+12, but HEC-RAS won't allow me to direct the diverted flow to XSEC 6+39 after naming 11+12 as the upstream section. It forces me to use the next downstream section as with a normal culvert. Is there a way to "trick" it into letting me name 11+12 and 6+39 as the upstream and downstream cross-sections, respectively? If you see a better way to handle it, any suggestions on how to more effectively approach the system would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking to model the bypass reach? If so try a junction. If not you should be able to do what you are trying to do. Its been a while for me using the split flow option in RAS; I'm pulling from memory. If I remember correctly, the lateral needs to be between two XSECs and not specifically at one. Try giving your lateral a different River Station (11+11). Remember the headwater at the culvert will be an average of the two XSECs; you may need to insert a XSEC just downstream of the lateral.

I agree with gbam. You should use a junction to model the split and recombining of the reaches. You can model the flow by using the Flow Optimizations module in the steady flow analysis. (under options)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back