Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hec-ras Modeling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrostru

Civil/Environmental
Dec 15, 2010
US
How can I model a river which is "in the sky" with Hec_ras? The bank elevations are higher than adjacent aeras so once it is overtopped, the water will run away perpendically to the reach.

I was setting ineffective areas but it seems not working as the cals are showing the WS is a few feet above the bank elevations which in reality can not happen.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use lateral weirs and not return the breakout flow to the channel. We do this all the time for sections of rivers with levees.

Only 2-year can be contained and the 100 year is 5 feet above the bank elevations. I am trying to remodel based on gbam's suggestion.

Yes the water will be running away. It is weird that I compared "ineffective area method" and "Lateral weirs method" and the difference in WS is minimal and I still have a few feet overtopping.

Ineffective boundaries are typically ussed when water will "stack up" outside of the conveyance zone. Their use will not reduce the discharge as the lateral weir option will; which, from my understanding is what is happening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back