Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEI Design conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

roker

Chemical
Jun 23, 2004
IL
Hello to all,

We received a specification for a vacuum unit of an Air Cooled Surface Condenser, one of the operating conditions is :"HEI DESIGN CONDITIONS", please can one advise this demand?

Best regards,
roker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HEI is short for "heat exchanger institute", and they have several standards published on the topic of condensers.

see below link <
I am not familiar with their topics that address air cooled condensers. However, my recollection of the earlier version that was available in 2003 is that it does not adequately afford a conservative design in the case where there is a large steam bypass system discharging into the condenser.

roker...

I believe that the specification is referring to that maximum(reasonable) vacuum value that is required for a condenser.

I know HEI has such a value in either the Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump standard or the STeam Jet Air Ejector Standard.

However, I do not believ that the HEI has a value for an air-cooled condenser

Roker,

I haven't seen this spec for many years. However, one aspect of it was that a certain amount of air leakage into the system had to be accounted for in the design of a condenser. My memory tells me that the result was a 80/20 mol fraction mixture of steam and air at the outlet, thus reducing the condensing temperature at that point.

Regards,

Speco

Rereading the OP several times, I think it is the air removal equipment that is being referred to HEI standards.

Here is a further link from the site that DaveFitz posted that may give you the leads you need.

Whether you use steam jets or liquid ring vacuum pumps, you should choose a manufacturer that adheres to these design standards.

Their publications are not free, however.

rmw

PS: the maximum vacuum possible in a steam condenser is a function of the hotwell condensate temperature (which, of course is a function of approach to the cooling water - or air - temperature.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back