Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Height of bent checkered plate at ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsengr

Structural
Apr 3, 2005
US
Hi everyone,

I am designing a 5/16 inch checkered plate

surface for the deck of my structure for a food

processing facility. At the ends of the plate,

I have to bend the checkered plate to form an edge of approx. 4 inches. As this is a food processing facility, the preference is for the bend to be slightly rounded (radius of 15/16", rather than being 90 degrees.)

I am trying to verify whether my bend should be

4 inches, or 4 and a 1/4 inches. I seem to recall that, for a "regular" bend, there is a need to provide a 1/4 gap at the bottom of the bend so that debris may be swept through it for instance. With that 1/4 inch requirement, and my own need for a 4 inch height bend, should the height of my bend be 4-1/4 inchese, then?

Does anyone know whether OSHA, or any of the building codes, specify a minimum radius and height for the bent checkered plate at the end?

Thanks, y'all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The minimum radius for cold bending will depend on the material specification. If you do not meet the minimum radius, cracks may develop on the outside edges.

The minimum toeboard (kickplate or toeplate) height will depend on your jurisdiction. OSHA (US) requires that toeboards be a minimum of 3.5 inches high above the working/walking surface.

In Alberta, Canada, the minimum toeboard height is 5.5 inches above the working/walking surface.

Thank you so much, doct9660 for your response. I checked with OSHA ( and under Section 1910.23(e)(4) of General Industry, found this:

A standarda toeboard shall be 4 inches nominal in vertical height from its top edge to the level of the floor, platform, runway, or ramp. It shall be securely fastened in place and with not more than 1/4-inch clearance above floor level. It may be made of any substantial material either solid or with openings not over 1 inch in greatest dimension.

Where material is piled to such height that a standard toeplate does not provide protection, paneling from floor to intermediate rail, or top rail shall be provided.

UNQUOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back