Helical Pile with bar through hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldemblem

Structural
Oct 25, 2017
US
Hello fellow engineers,

I am having to review a design, it's a helical pile embedded into a pool shell, then they are suggesting a min 6' long #4 bars going through the hole at the top of the shaft.
I am trying to find a way to design or review this but haven't had any luck finding proper documentation, any recommendation on how to design/approach this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm assuming it's for uplift resistance. Steel to steel I'd look at pin bearing from AISC (though that's not perfect given the deformation on the bars...but probably not a big deal as deformation probably isn't going to be a deal breaker). Bar to concrete...I might consider shear friction there. Technically the bars are supposed to be welded...but developing it on both sides to balance it could work? Though that would be a very long bar. Otherwise you'd need to consider bars simply as dowels.

If you are reviewing the helical pile design then you should have the calculation from the helical pile company as well. If I recall correctly it's just a developement length calculation considering actual tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back