Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Helicals

ebesan

Industrial
Aug 23, 2008
US
New here. Know nothing about this stuff! Planning a small house (800 sf) on new fill, w/ an 8' grade. Does the use of helicals require a geo-tech analysis? I was told that it is not required cause helicals will just keep going till they meet sufficient resistance. Thx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And also talk to your local permitting department. Where I practice, lightly loaded helicals do not need a geotech, i.e. less than 5000 lbs. But if they're supporting more than 5000 lbs, then they do need it. There are some other caveats where geotech's are required depending on the what the foundation is supporting.

It depends where you are, some areas will just accept the contractors sign off on capacities, others no. Depends on the municipal / local government / consenting authority.

Are you referring to metal helical piers?

If so, their usual MO is to dig the piers down until they get a certain level of resistance from the earth, or hit actual bedrock, whichever comes first. It's a somewhat shaky premise; a couple of my piers supposedly went 30 ft , but 2 others were only about 20 ft.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

...and find out from local people what the correlation of torque and load capacity is. There is generally a good correlation between the two for a given soil.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Back