Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helicopter Aerodynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaniac

Aerospace
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Here is the situation.
A helicopter was performance tested at full power. The maximum velocity was recorded (accounting for atmospheric conditions).
The helicopter was then modified, adding a FLIR turrent to the nose. The post-mod helicopter was the performance tested.
The result was that the post-modification helicopter had greater performance than the pre-mod.

My question is this, what is the most likely reason for the performance improvement. Any references to past experiences or papers on this topic would be appreciated.

Cheers

"yesterday i couldn't spell engineer, now i is one!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

themaniac,
1. What is the helicopter?

2. How much did the speed increase?

3. What was removed from the helicopter when the FLIR was added?

4. What are the weight and exposed dimensions of the FLIR?

"Performance" is typically plotted versus some measure of power/thrust. Power/thrust is computed from various engine parameters. This computation requires "characteristics" curves some of which are depenent on the specific engine configuration (ie;p/n's, part mod levels, areas, etc). IF the engine/powerplant installation was changed in any way between the baseline and mod'd testing that might account for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back