Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helicopter vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

izax1

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2001
NO
Hi
I need to find the vibration levels for payload for an Airbus helicopter. I have search both European and US Standards, but I cant find something useful. I know the rpm and No of blades for the main rotor, but I assume there's a lot of other vibration sources like the tail rotor, engine, gear etc.
Any help wold be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd ask Airbus, this is (I think) something specific to your helicopter model.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Yes, now I looked at MIL-STD-810G. And G gave some good info. Previously I used F version, and that was more confusing. Thank you.

Most, if not all, helicopters are given vibration analysis as part of the tuning of the rotor blade installation process.
I only have Bell/Textron manuals to refer to at the moment, but I don't see why Eurocopter would be much different.
Many maintenance manuals will give you details of the test practices which will include placement of accelerometers, dominant frequencies to be expected, and limits to the amplitude of the vibration at any given location, axis and frequency.
You can also contact a helicopter operator and request recordings from the last of these maintenance tests. They may be reluctant to give it to you, if you have no prior relationship, but you seem to be developing a product, and this could be a practical opportunity for you.

Yes, I have to switch back to the original. But for us, Airbus is several links away back from where we are. This is a MEDEVAC helicopter, and our immediate contact is the helicopter operators. But we will get through the jungle in the end. Thanks for any input.

izax1... might consider the following... like the old-days...

Lots of unknowns? Take vibration and sonic measurements with suitable equipment, various Acft configurations.

There is likely to be test equipment needed for 'main-rotor' and 'rotary-rudder' blade balancing and tracking... as well-as transmission and engine diagnostics. I'll bet this equipment used in-flight would be able to identify any significant background sonic and vibration levels... out of AMM nominal.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

is the question about defining the vibration environment of the Airbus helicopter,
or the standard vibration testing of a component (to be mounted in the helicopter),
or validating that a component (with a defined/limited vibration tolerance) will tolerate the helicopter environment,
or ...

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back