Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helix - SAP2000 - Show without twist the elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

APacheco

Structural
Mar 19, 2018
BR
Hi!

I need to create a mesh with helix elements, like a spring. The elements are 6 x 3 mm (cross section), can be frame elements. I know the Extrude Points to Lines (radial), build the mesh, but when i choose extrude view, some elements are showed twisted. I would like that the external face of the element goes external for the entire spring. Please, see the attached file.

Thanks,

AAP.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=168d998a-55ba-4b54-a9bc-232381e5464f&file=Spring.bmp
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may get a break by changing the approach of modelling.

This is because SAP2000, like most other packages, for beam elements, assume the local axis-2 (local y-axis in STAAD) to be perpendicular to the beam axis, lie on the vertical plane passing through the beam, and point upwards.

So with that being automatic, what one sees on your screen shot is odd. I tried modelling the same in excel and pasting into STAAD. It looked fine. The same was imported to ETABS. It was fine there too.

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back