Hello everyone, I build custom p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorensman

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2014
US
Hello everyone,

I build custom platforms/bases for audio equipment. I am in the process of determining the best method to bond various materials in a layered configuration. My primary materials at this point are Panzerholz plywood, aluminum sheets, and slate panels. Any thoughts on proper adhesive would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may need more than one adhesive to suit the different properties of the materials you are joining,
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Many adhesives will work. For best results and longevity the surface treatment of the aluminum is important. Silicone RTV would probably work fine and it would be cost effective. Two-part epoxy would be the strongest. Protecting the wood from getting wet is important for durability. The wood should be sealed with a waterproof sealer, particularly at exposed edges. Epoxy will work well for that, as well.

You can laminate layers together using a vacuum bag.

As this is just a platform for a mechanical device to be attached to, it will be at rest with no outside forces acting upon it other than the weight of the device. As the platform will have attached "feet" and will always be in a resting position, failure would not be foreseen. Longevity should be measured in 20-30 years.

Thank you,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back