Hello Everyone, This is regarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAS

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2014
IN
Hello Everyone,
This is regarding Drain Sump (Rectangular Tank-Int: Atmospheric/Ext: Full vacuum), for which the Design code to be followed as per the FEED Datasheet is Roark’s formula and API 650. Datasheet also calls for the “Code Stamping & Registration”. As we know that Code stamping cannot be done for API 650, none of the Vendor’s comply with the code stamping & registration. Concession Request has been sent to our Client to waive the code stamping, but was rejected.
Vendors reply that, incase they follow ASME, Appendix-13 (Rectangular Box design for which we use for Air Cooler header box design), code stamping can be done, but the thickness will be 46mm which is not acceptable. Moreover Stiffeners cannot be used in Appx-13.
How can I proceed?
Kindly give your expertise answer.
Thank you,
Jay,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jayadev1979,

If your vessel need stamping & registration, Appendix 13 of ASME Code Section VIII, Division 1 is an option, that Appendix include REINFORCED VESSELS OF RECTANGULAR CROSS SECTION (par 13-8).
I suggest you contact to a manufacturer that holding an ASME Certificate of Authorization in your geographic zone and request their support.

Sounds to me like you'd need to ask the customer exactly what code and what stamping they want. Pay particular attention to the "scope" of the ASME code if you're looking at using it.

Jayadev1979,
You need to certainly query your Client regarding the FEED datasheet because API Std 650 is only applicable to vertical, cylindrical tanks (not rectangular), and does not cover full vacuum. Sounds like lazy specification by whoever created the datasheet.
Cheers,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back