Hello, guys! I have a question abo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjad2164

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2015
CA
Hello, guys!
I have a question about buckling analysis in ASME SEC VIII DIV.2 5.4 (PROTECTION AGAINST COLLAPSE FROM BUCKLING). The mentioned article says that the load combinations should be applied as per Table 5.3. I studied the example in ASME Section VIII - Division 2 Example Problem Manual (PTB), in which there is only one load case (external pressure) and no load combination. In this example, a final fraction determines the critical buckling pressure, which is appropriate for a single load. Now, how should we calculate the critical buckling load if we have a load combination?
Can I use the fraction like this?
2023-12-21_11-35-13_fhlt0p.png

Why has PTB substituted the external pressure instead of the dead load in the following fraction?
2023-12-21_11-31-47_wtrnsp.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

There have been some changes to the methods for protecting against collapse from buckling in the new 2023 Code Edition.
The example given in PTB-3 shows the old method and my recommendation is to not follow it.
To get a better grasp of the new methods, check out the article PVP2020-21112: "BUCKLING OF CYLINDERS DUE TO EXTERNAL PRESSURE: EXPERIMENTAL WORK COMPARED WITH FINITE ELEMENT STRESS ANALYSIS" by Benjamin F. Hantz & Sujay Krishnamurthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back