Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I am trying to work out w

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZWelder

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2021
AU
Hello,

I am trying to work out where in ASME B31,3 I can get the minimum required impact values for charpy-v testing. I have looked in table A-1(m). my material is P10h Group 1 (25%DSS). I see the minimum temperature is -50C then impact testing is required. I have to test my welds to -60C.
so my question is

1. is there a table that will tel me the impacts value in Joules that I need to achieve at -60C for the charpy-v test to be a pass. I have found one table but for material in P 10H it only give a lateral expansion of 0.38mm but not requirements for absorption values in joules. Do I need to look in ASTM A370?

if the design temperature in -45c to + 80 do you think it makes and scene to be told to test to -60C?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The measured test values may be the energy absorbed, the percentage shear fracture, the lateral expansion opposite
the notch, or a combination thereof. See more in sa-370

In your example the lateral expansion is required.

Regards

thank you very much r6155. So if -51C is the MDMT for duplex 22%Cr. where in B31.3 do I find information on what temperature to start impact testing. -50 in the transformation temperature but at what temperature do you have to preform impacts at,+20, 0, -1, -10, -25? cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back