Hello! There are two types of lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjad2164

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2015
CA
Hello!
There are two types of lifting lug orientation in PV-elite, which are flat and perpendicular. We have a particular type of lifting lug in a standard drawing, and I am confused about its orientation. The difficulties arose when I was about to put the amount of off parameter in the lifting lug dialog. Can anyone help me, please?
2023-01-16_09-37-38_wkkkbi.png

2023-01-16_09-38-26_mpms0f.png

2023-01-16_09-40-32_zs5g01.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it looks to me as though you're lifting hooks are in the "out-of-page" lugs, that the "in-page" lugs are just stabilizing the lifting lugs.

the lifting lugs are shown in the small detail view, yes? so the force is up, and lifts the vessel though a weld along the lower edge of the lug (in tension).
this is aligned to the lifting force so "off" = 0.

One simple way to analyze is to say the lower weld reacts all the load, tension and a small amount of bending (since the lift is not aligned to the centroid of the weld, yes?).

More correct is to have both welds onto the vessel react the lift load, but that is a lot more complicated ... try and draw a FBD ...

Screen_Shot_01-16-23_at_11.30_AM_i2nqwd.png

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

ok, so you have four of your lugs, with a generally inclined force (ie three force components, which you know from direction cosines).

ao now free body a lug.

and btw a FBD includes force magnitudes.

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Sajjad2164, as your question relates to the software, I'd think your orientation would be "flat". I'd suggest you consult the documentation to assure yourself the software accurately applies to your actual lug(s).

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

but I think the fundamental issue is that the lug orientation in the software (shown in the OP) isn't consistent with the particular application (shown in the later post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back