Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!_modelling an inlet tract within block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sughew

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2005
GB
Hi, I am a newbie with Solidworks so bear with me....

I am trying to model a cylinder head with Solidworks 2001+.

My problem is that I cannot construct the inlet/exhaust tracts within the cylinder block (a simple cube).

I have tried to use the sweep function, but that only produces a solid. I want to extrude the shape within the block. The tracts are typical curved paths.

How could I model the tracts. It is very frustrating!

sughew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's why you need to get a more up to date version. you can make cut-sweeps with I think SW03 and up.

You will have to construct it using surfaces most likely, but it's been so long since most of us used SW01+, I'm sure our way of thinking will not work as well, since the version you are using is way limited then what we use today.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I like to model ports as solids, then do a body substract from the actual head, it gives you a very good visual on the port shape. I must admit I have no idea if it works in SW2001 (it sure does in 2004/2005)

In the few that I have done, it has been very difficult to do the complete port in one operation. Usually it is a combination of sweeps and lofts. Sweeps are easier because you can do a hollow part. I can't get lofts to do this. I had to run one solid loft, then a second cut loft through it. The paths are also difficult to do. I make a number of planes and draw lines of various length and angles so I can go back and change them, and then combine all these into a single 3d curve. It has been very frustrating to start by making a 3d sketch (hopefully SW2006 will be better).

Converting old 2d paper drawings into solid models is also difficult because some cross sections that can be drawn in a 2d view do not connect in 3d, or SW will refuse the operation. Some curves are too sharp for a sweep or loft to follow. A lot of it was left to the pattern maker before, but SW does not have an icon for blend or file to fit.

Using spline guide curves should produce the bends you 'd need for constructing port geometry.

EngJW: care to show me a pic of one of the drawings that you weren't able to use in a loft?

I got some really nice powerpoint presentations I found on the net showing exactly how to convince SW to produce the lofts the way you had intended. Check out the "Curvy stuff" tutorials.

The URL: Dimonte Group tutorials

Stefan Hamminga
Mesken BV
2005 Certified SolidWorks Professional
Mechanical designer/AI student

Stefan,

I don't have anything that I can easily get to but typically it would be a round cross section lofted into a square or rectangular cross section. The round one would have an OD and ID (for the port wall)and the other section would have a wall of the same thickness.

This would generate an error message, something about using a single closed profile. I get around it by lofting a solid port for the outer wall and then a cut loft for the inside. It is a lot of extra work. It might just be my lack of knowledge or experience with this.

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back