Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help a guy with pictures! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldfieldguy

Electrical
Sep 20, 2006
US
I'm putting together a presentation for introducing some of our station personnel to the wonderful world of medium voltage switchgear.

Naturally, pictures of their new switchgear are easy. All I have to do is walk in the building and take what I want.

However, I want to show some slides of when things go horribly wrong. My own stock is rather limited. I am looking specifically for photos of blown up, faulted, damaged, or otherwise messed up medium voltage indoor switchgear.

I would also appreciate a photo or two of a large electric motor showing winding damage.

Any nameplates, logos, etc. which might make somebody uncomfortable will be pixelled out.

Thanks

old field guy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oil or air, or something more exotic?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

How soon do you need them? I have some on an old PC at home, but I will have to feed the squirrels that power the HDD in order to extract them, and I have no squirrel food left.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Scotty-

Air is preferred, but I'm not picky. Spectacular counts for extra points.

Tinfoil-

I have those two. I was going after some stills for the PowerPoint.

jraef-

Next week would be wonderful. At the price I'm paying, I can't push delivery times.

Thanks, guys!

old field guy

oldfieldguy:

You should be able to embed video in your ppt file.
Adds a LOT of impact to a presentation like this.

A relay guru I used work with claimed that there is no such thing as electricity. According to him, smoke is contained in those wires, and once you let the smoke out, it no longer works, and it can be very difficult to get the smoke back in.

Somebody let the smoke out of this transformer.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=863809ed-dddc-4155-be83-b3bfaa675a0c&file=IMG_3163.jpeg
I have a few shots of an MV substation which deconstructed itself with some enthusiasm when an OCB suffered a cataclysmic failure. I almost certainly have a few others of VCBs with various modes of failure, some bad and some not so bad.

If a wrecked turbo-generator will suffice as a large motor I have a few images of a couple of machines which had a very bad day. I also have a collection of photos of a wrecked unit auxiliary transformer which blew up and killed three colleagues.

Let me know if any of them would be of interest - I'll try to get them done tomorrow because I'm away next week.

image.php

Scotty--

I am frequently called upon to present classes on electrical safety subjects.Any thing you're willing to send, I will be happy to accept.

I am the electrical guy for an interstate gas pipeline that is just beginning to see large electrical power and while my station folks know all about several thousand horsepower 300 RPM piston engines, electricity above 480 volts is alien to them. I'd rather them not think they can get brave...

old field guy

SMI VCB Failure, good for the techs they were using remote racking.

Zog-

Good ones! Especially the first two, since our guys will have VCB's and a few of them will be racked in and out fairly often as lockout-tagout for motors. They need to know that the operation has its dangers.

old field guy

OFG, When this happened the guys were in another room, racking it wirelessly and watching on the monitor. Not only were injuries prevented but when they saw the flash they simply pushed the out button and racked the breaker back out, minimizine equipment damage. An operator in a flash suit doing the same thing would have ran out of the room and the damage would have been much worse.

Probably not for the faint-hearted: what happens to people when things go wrong.

Don't open if you're having your lunch at your desk.

image.php

Generator wreck, India

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back