Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help choosing steel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF

Chemical
Oct 25, 2001
CH
Hi. I am searching for a low-carbon steel that will allow me to do the following. First, the dimensions of the steel bar I will be using are 1/4" by 1/4" by 48". I will be welding this bar to other pieces of steel, painting it, and then baking it in an oven at 500 degrees F for 15 minutes. I need to bake it two times to allow paint to cure. The problem I have experienced is that the steel tends deform. There are shear strains, which are causing bending and twisting of the steel bar. Could someone please recommend a steel that would stay straight through my process? Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect that it is the thermal deformation of your welded structure that is causing the twisting of your 'sliver' of steel. I am not sure any steel could do what you are asking. To confirm it is the structure and not the 48 inch 'sliver' bake it at 500 F by itself. If it still does try a larger diameter, a longer bake time at lower temperature, or pre-annealing.

You might try a slower heating rate, or stress relieving it prior to painting (long time, low temp). Or just clamp it onto a heavy metal section during heating. Just remember to heat and cool slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back