Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Designing a bearing housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywerner89

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2020
IL
Hello,

Im trying to design a differential joint and I need to connect a bevel gear to a frame using a short shaft and a 608zz bearing. the shaft is connected in one end to the gear and the other to the frame.
Screen_Shot_2020-04-15_at_6.18.04_PM_apk6u7.png

My questions are:

1. what is the best way to design the bearing housing?
2. should the bearing be mounted to the frame or the gear? and what are the considerations for doing so?

attached is a simplified design of the parts
the motor in the picture is a hollow shaft motor that is connected to the gear not by a shaft and supported by an inner frame. so the shaft is short ( im assuming that thermal expansion would be a smaller factor of consideration)

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A shoulder and a snap ring would work although you might want a more precise and minimal backlash connection (especially if you need to control the backlash on the gears).

Thank you!

the motor here acts as the second bearing.
should the bearing be fitted to the gear or to the outer frame?

Im guessing that its easier to create the housing on the frame but in this case im 3d printing everything so I can do it any way I want.

I'm guessing your hollow shaft motor bearings are designed to accommodate radial,axial and moment loads. So you need to make sure any bearing installed on the opposite side of the bevel gear does not create an over-constrained condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back