Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help for best pc hardware ( To JohnRBaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBIM

Industrial
Nov 22, 2006
PT
Hi,

I need to buy a new pc (Probably a Dell solution) but I don´t really know what configuration to choose.

I must say that a college have a Dell Precision 390 with Pentium D processor dual core 3.2 , Scsi drive, Quadro Fx 1400 nvidia graphic card, 4GB memory (4X DIMM 1Gb)Raid control (Raid 0) and he is still complaining about the time unigraphics (NX4)take to process medium size operation.

I working in moldmaking and create assembly with more or less 2000 to 4000 components.

1º question: Does Raid 0 make any difference in unigraphics?

2º question: What should be the best hardware configuration for me to work with NX4 or 5 ?

The Computer I was thinking to by have this configuation:
Intel core 2 du0 E6700 2.67Ghz ultimate processor
4.0GB memory (4 DIM 1GG) SDRAM DDR2 667 MHz with ECC
SAS DRIVE RAID 0 Config. (2 drive 73GB 15000rpm)
nvidia Quadro fx 3500 graphic card.
Windows vista ultimate !??
DELL PRECISION 390 Base

Any way, I´m a little lost so I thougt you might help me.

Thanks a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your proposed configuration seems to be more than adequate. I would always opt for the most memory that I can get (afford) and don't scrimp on the graphics card, but make sure it's one of our certified ones (i.e., no gaming cards). As far as the OS, we have not fully certified Vista yet although I've seen many people running it, including some of our own internal users (and not just the people who are certifiying it). I'm still on XP and will probably stay on it until the final certification and perhaps not even until we move to it as our IT standard, which is probably awhile yet (note that I'm not a hardware/OS 'geek').

Just remember a few basic rules:

No matter what you buy, it will never be fast enough or cheap enough and you should always buy as much memory as you can afford.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS
UGS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back