Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help identify aluminum alloy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mengnr

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2006
US
I'm trying to identify an aluminum alloy. Per the mass spec, it's 0.25% magnesium and 99.75% aluminum. (There are trace amounts of oxygen, carbon, and tungsten, but I assumed those were oxidation or residue from the cutting tools and discounted them.) The only alloys I can find that contain only aluminum and magnesium (5005, 5050 & 5252) have higher percentages of magnesium. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No manganese (Mn) reported?

What and where is it from?

The Al and Mg fit in the ranges of 5010. Except 5010 should have 0.1 - 0.3 Mn as well.

It's from a European vendor, so it could be a European alloy. We're trying to understand what we were supplied so we can look up the material properties, and the vendor is not responding to requests. The parts are newish, supplied over the past decade or so.

Seems like you have identified the alloy. It may not be one that is produced to a recognized standard so it doesn't have a formal name. I suppose it is possible the producer simply failed to add Mn or insufficient amounts of Mg.

What drew this level of attention?

3DDave said:
I suppose it is possible the producer simply failed to add Mn or insufficient amounts of Mg.

That possibility is so remote (not to mention potentially fraudulent on the part of the producer) that it is highly improbable.

The material is what it is, and it was made to some standard (not necessarily a code but possibly in-house).

It is possible the elements you have detected are residual and not consequential.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Did you test for other elements (Si, Cu, Zn, Zr, Pb, Sn, V, Fe, ...) as well, or did everything else come up (near) zero?
Did you perform the test correctly?
Is it an average of multiple test locations, or a one off?
What are the parts? Forged, wrought, extruded, plate?

There are only very, very few producers of aluminium, and the one I know fairly well, that is based in north-Europe (but with plants all over the globe) will most likely be eager to help you, if you give them enough information to work with.

Aluminum Association Standards and Data 2017 implies this might be a 1xxx series alloy... but there is no data for mechanical properties... for what amounts to 'almost pure aluminum'.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back