Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help in my knee exo-skeleton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantej

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2014
SG
Hey guys, im trying to design a knee exoskeleton which serves to reduce the impact on the knee joints. The purpose of this exo-skeleton is NOT to aid in running but it serves to reduce the impact taken by the knees so as to reduce wear and tear and degradation of the knee. The target audience would be the elderly as well as people who suffer from knee pains, joint problems.

- My request to you guys would be if you could please let me know what are the important factors that i should take note when designing the exoskeleton ( maybe even provide a simple sketch , that would be great! )
- also do let me know the main forces that act on the knee and how i should design the exo - skeleton to counter-act these forces.
- also do point out anything major that i may have missed and would be important to include in my design.

Thanks so much guys and do hope that you can help me in my project :D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had the misfortune to buy several knee braces over the years.

They all suffer from the same deficiency; rotation in service. Most of them include a hole, sometimes padded, that surrounds the kneecap, which is apparently intended to serve as a key. It doesn't work; after several hours, the braces have worked their way around so that the hole no longer aligns with the kneecap, and then the braces with landau bar hinges on their sides have put one of the landau bars in front of the kneecap and the other behind the knee, so the knee can no longer rotate at all, and the pressure on the kneecap becomes painful.

You might do well to spend some hours hanging out in a shop where artificial legs are fitted; their alignment and retention needs are obviously critical, and some clever solutions have been devised to deal with the anatomy|mechanism interfaces.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Is this for school? Student posting is not allowed

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

@IRstuff , no this is not regarding school nor am i a student. Regarding the other comments, thanks guys, i would have a look at them and do keep me updated if you come across interesting links. Thanks !

sorry, no

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Hey guys, i was thinking of a design which basically incorporates a knee guard that has 2 pneumatic cylinders (one on each side of the knee ) as well as small shock absorbers. What do you guys think of the idea >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back