Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help me for compressor capacity calculation for our pilot plant

Asisraja D

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2024
IN
Dear professionals
i am working in a greenfield project and i am responsible for verifying utility design which provided by our consult but yesterday we have planned to install a compressor for our pilot plant. The problem is they have assigned me for this role yeah that's really nice opportunity for me but i am a basic in compression technology so my doubt is if anyone help me what are the base parameters or factors to be considered for compressor selection ? sorry i am asking very basically like design steps involved in compressor selection as a beginner i really don't know from where to start my design ?
if you want any details for this one, i am eager to provide and possibly i will start my calculations with all of your information and my personnel research too. i have tried from Horsepower calculation from rules of thumb for chemical engineers page.no:115 but it is really confusing then only i came here for some professionals ideas from where to start this ?

1.)Application : For instrumentation purpose.

Thank in advance to all of you.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK. Is this an instrument air system?

You need to know air volume and pressure required.

These are usually packages so not sure what exactly you are designing?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

You should probably just be developing a specification and filling in the associated data sheets for budget quotes, bid inquiry, vendor proposal evaluation and purchase order.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

LittleInch sir
yes. it is for instrument air purpose only.

You need to know air volume and pressure required.

We need air pressure for minimum 15 bar because we use it for pneumatically operated angle valve for steam controlling for our hot water tank heating.
As per valve manufactures data sheet we need pneumatic pressure up to 7.5 bar but i hope we should be design little bit more than we need present because of future expansion.

These are usually packages so not sure what exactly you are designing?

yeah. we can order with total set-up like compressor with air receiver and dryer if need etc.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

pierreick sir
thanks for sharing this document.[dazed]

Errr, if you want to allow for future expansion its extra flowrate you need, not pressure. Most instrument Air systems sit at about 7 bar / 100 psi. Much more than that and they can fail or start to relieve air. Design pressure of a lot of the components is prob 10 bar or lower so 15bar is reckless.

But making something a lot bigger than it needs to be is bad Design as well as the compressor will start and stop a lot more and nothing works well or efficiently.

Allow for extra compressors or tasks, dryers etc with valved connections but don't say double the size of your compressor.

Don't forget that instrument air needs to be clean and dry so a good filler to ptob 5 micron and a dryer to get to-20C dew point is usually required.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Back