Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help me in nitrogen plant selection for our API Plant 1

Asisraja D

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2024
IN
Hi
We need nitrogen plant for our API plant for vacuum breaking and we have selected the flow rate around 20 Nm3/hr but we have no data apart from this.
Does anyone help me what are the parameters to be considered for nitrogen plant selection for this application if any guide available please share me here.
i tried this file i have attached here but still not clear in this.

flow rate is calculated based on the reactors capacity but we could not select which generation system will be suitable whether membrane type or PSA method? i have googled it to know what is best but i need experts solution in this so please help me. thanks for all of you.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The main parameter other than capacity is how pure you need the nitrogen to be. Membranes will be competitive until you need something like 99.5%+ nitrogen, above that you will probably be looking at PSA.

Hi,
As GBTopenhow said, one of the key factors is the purity of N2, not only, but Dew point is also key together with oil content.
On operation point of view, you also need to consider maintenance and shut down where you have no N2 available.
You need to compare N2 supplied by Vendor to inhouse production of N2 (Compressor, dryer, storage, PSA unit or membrane, spares part).
Seems to me that your unit is very small. Prepare a specification sheet and submit it to vendor to get a quotation.
Pierre

GBTorpenhow sir
we need purity level 99.99%.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

pierreick

i have got the quotation and i attached here.

but Dew point is also key together with oil content.

can you please explain me about this ?

i don't understand why we need dew point and oil content of ?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6c0e87b8-016f-49ce-a097-0b647a42862b&file=PSA_Nitrogen_Plant_of_20_NM3_per_hour_capacity.pdf
Hi,
I went through the proposal, consider having online dew point measurement and / or water content (infrared sensor).
As you can see, they offer you a set of oil filter to prevent contamination of the air stream. Is it acceptable? You need to consider using oil suitable for GMP application, otherwise you will be in trouble with agencies (Indian FDA,)?
Is Carbon steel acceptable for your application?
Make sure you will have in place a program to inspect the filter and control the oil content in N2 stream.
Will it be better to use an oil free compressor, discuss with vendor?
You definitely need to draw a plan with pros and cons and submit it to your management.
As I said in my previous post, because of the quality required for your application (API), the maintenance program on PSA unit, the quality control to put in place to prevent contamination and possible recall, I will double check with Liquid nitrogen supplier prior to finalize the options. You definitively have a lot of regulatory issues in front of you and I will be worried for future inspections.
Good luck
Pierre

pierreick

thanks for your information. we have already installed the same carbon steel receiver in our plant so as you told, i will have to consider this point.
they have mentioned as lubricated compressors, this should be noted. Thank you sir.

Go for oil free air compressors - there is still risk of oil vapor carryover into CMS / act alumina beds from downstream of oil filters. Oil free machines dont last as long as oil lubricated machines, but there is no other safe choice in this application.

There is an even higher risk of oil vapor carryover from the oil lubricated compressors coating the heat exchanger surfaces at the refrigerated dryer.

Hi,
API means Active pharmaceutical ingredient! Take it seriously into account with your design. Check with your management team before doing wrong choices. You cannot bring impurities into the system. You are lacking knowledge about GMP and the risks for trouble are there, not kidding.
Pierre

georgeverghese

We have suggested to supply oil free compressor only.

pierreick

Take it seriously into account with your design.

of course it has to be taken into account seriously. i understand my responsibility that's why i insist my management to go for oil free compressor with 99.99% purity level to avoid the consequences of the any contamination with the product.

when i try to select the compressor type. which one could be the best for this application and flow rate ?
when i asked them about screw compressor. They told me like it cost around 3 times higher than reciprocating piston compressors. why this much of cost variation ? if so which could be the best one for this selection ?

Hi,
To add to my previous replies, consider this link to brush up your knowledge about GMP:
Hope you understand my points about using N2 liquid instead of PSA after reading the document in the link attached.
All over, you need to be able to demonstrate that your design is not going to contaminate your API providing design reports and process validation. This means also your QC labs must be able to perform analysis to detect deviation (Karl fisher for water, Oil and grease(?), rust from vessels and pipes, N2 Purity.
Now it's up to you, I did my part.
Pierre

Back