Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help mirroring sheet metal part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodman

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2007
CA
I can't mirror a sheet metal part in Solidworks 2005. I have made half a section and just want to mirror it. It says bend face is an invalid face for sheet metal. Yet it wants me to select a face of the actual sheet metal part for it to work. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am mirroring the body. Its a simple sheet metal part. I made the left hand side, now I want to mirror it and have it merge the two solids in order to obtain a single part. I'd like to provide a better description, but don't know what else to say.

I've uploaded the file but don't know if you can read it as it's built on a skeleton part in the assembly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no I cannot mirror sketches. I can only mirror features, faces and bodies according to solid works. Anybody else? Am I just not seeing this or is it just ridiculous that you can't mirror sheet metal?

You can mirror sketch entities. There is an icon that looks like a bell.

As far as being able to mirror sheet metal features, like edge flanges and the like, I don't recall.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

You can mirror SM parts, but the Mirror Face has to be a face bounding a straight and flat portion of the part. A face bounding a curved surface is not eligible.

I don't know if this will work in SW05, but try adding a small flat to one end of the splines used to create your lofted bend. Then when creating the mirror, select a face bounding that flat portion.

[cheers]

JMirisola, basically I want it twice as long. I would be using the front plane as the mirror plane. The edge that the curve is on would be the mirror plane. Hope this helps, as now Im itching to figure this out! (Dont ya just love getting stuck like this?)

If you just want the part you uploaded to be twice as long;
1) Create another plane offset whatever distance you need from Plane1
2) RMB on Sketch5 and choose the Edit Sketch Plane option
3) Select the newly created plane and click-the-tick.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back