Help needed for choosing High precision digital magnetometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisdavenport

Industrial
May 6, 2016
CA
Hi, how was your New Year.
This time I need help with digital magnetometer. I am in search of the high precision magnetometer for archeological exploration. It's very hard to find something online related to this topic.
The requirements are
High Sampling (for vehicle mounted fast survey purpose )
High accuracy
I found a potassium high-sensitivity magnetometer and a Digital magnetic sensor matching the above profile. which one should I select for this purpose?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming that you are looking for objects with a flux "foot-print" in the order of one foot and your vehicle moves at a 60 mph, which is fast under such circumstances. Plus, you are looking for variations like one percent of the back-ground flux. Then you need to sample at a few hundred Sa/s. Which is not very fast. A flux gate resolves easily down to 1% of gamma, so I think that you could use rather simple stuff. Like the Picoscope digitizers and a home-brewn flux gate that you tailor exactly to your needs.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is such stuff available for hobbyists (Maker and Robotic) also. Cheap and usually quite good.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

As to your last question, the GEMS system comes with PC software, so there's obviously a way to get data out. Your second magnetometer uses I2C interface, so the reference design cited on the webpage can be used to extract data.

However, your two choices have orders of magnitude difference in precision, so you need to have a numerical requirements, not just "high."

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back