Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on tracking motion of feet and wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

motonik

Mechanical
Apr 28, 2011
US
I am mechanical engineer with very little background on electrical engineering. I would like to create a device that tracks the position of the feet relative to the wrist. This is to be used outdoors for people that play sports and it is to be confined within an area of 15x30 meters. The idea is for specific times, not continuously, know the relative position of the wrist to the two feet within an accuracy of a couple cm. The horizontal position is very important, the vertical one less important. The orientation of the feet and wrist is also important to know. Any ideas how can that be accomplished? Would inertial measurement units work or other technology is needed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try contacting APDM at apdm.com. They produce inertial devices that may be able to do what you need.

Note: I am not affiliated with APDM in any fashion.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

you can do as suggested above, or you can go to a number of motion capture places, where it's done indoors, and colored balls are attached to various parts of various bodies and a special lighting is used for the balls and cameras. The video is digitized by them and they produce a 3-D video of all the ball locations at all times. This is how some of the CGI animations are done.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back