Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Using Hansens Bearing Capacity Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredator

Civil/Environmental
Jul 24, 2008
US
Hello,
I am trying to calculate pipeline thrust block sizes using Hansen's bearing capacity equation, which I found in Foundation Analysis and Design by Joseph E. Bowles, fourth edition, around page 189. My problem is that, even with small base tilt angles, the base factors (b sub q, and b sub gamma) completely blow up. Anyone have experience using this method?
thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for that source, the equation now returns believable values, up to a point. Increasing the tilt angle of the footing reduces the bearing capacity (as it should) up to about 50 degrees, then it begins to increases again for angles above about 50. Is this supposed to work this way? I am trying to use it for a tilt of 90 degrees. If anyone has a good reference on how to design thrust blocks, other than using an assumed bearing capacity, I would love to hear about it!
Thanks

Did you try sizing the thrust block based on passive resistance to the horizontal load? You can pick a thrust block height and width that give the necessary passive resistance along with the required safety factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back