Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden L

Civil/Environmental
Nov 16, 2023
GB
Hi Everyone,

Thankyou in advance for any guidance.

Essentially a scheme I am working on requires me to install a sheet pile retaining in a residential area.
I am happy with the design of the sheet pile itself against surcharge.

My question is, when the steel sheet piles are driven into the ground, will there be sufficient distance from the piling area to any neighbouring structure(s) which could be effected by vibration and cause damage.

My research so far...

BS 5228-2:2009 states when peak particle velocity (PPV) is below 12.5mm/s then the probability of damage tends towards zero.

My question is: is there a formula of finding what my PPV will be. im assuming i'll need information on geology, length of retaining wall, acceleration? and distance from 'blast' to closest structure.

Most of the information i'm reading is stating that im required to begin the driven pile process where i can determine a PPV value at a distance, from that distance i can then use another formula to find the attenuation.
any help is appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have done similar projects and the approach we have taken is: (it's not cheap)

1) Put a limit on the allowable PPV for the contractor.
2) Mandate that the contractor get vibration monitors (really for their own protection from lawsuits)
3) Conduct a photographic survey of the exterior of nearby residences prior to construction.
4) Conduct a photographic survey after construction activities are complete.

When the neighbors show up about cracked brick, show them the before & after photos.

If the neighbors say interior elements of their home are cracked, show them the vibration monitoring results were below tolerable standards.

I believe we did not calculate allowed velocities. Instead, the testing lab gave us common tolerances which we used to establish the contractor's limits.

The California Department of Transportation has some guidance.. The file is too large to attach. Google "Caltrans Transportation and Construction Vibration Guidance Manual 2020" or try this link:

I agree with Joel. In my area there are a hundred timber piles driven every day and all of the houses are close together. You have to survey the adjacent properties beforehand otherwise you get neighbors coming out of the woodwork blaming you for all sorts of damage.

Joel hit the nail, errr, pile on the head. Sorry.

Used to work for a company with a geophysicist, and I was involved with the structural evaluations. There has been a TON of research on this subject, particularly several decades ago because of the mining industry. The one quick takeaway is human's perception of vibration is very sensitive, but the effect on structures is almost always minimal, rarely even cosmetic. I think it was a British study that drove a pile a few feet from a brick wall and nothing happened, but don't quote me on that.

I had an investigation a year or so ago, which just happened to be a house about a mile from my house. The guy was certain the vibrations from the bombing range 30 miles away were shaking his house apart. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but those vibrations were no different then a normal thunderstorm. There was a logical explanation for every single area of cosmetic distress he pointed out....

Good news... The book is only $99 on Ebay. I just ordered a copy for me. (I have a book purchasing addiction like others on this website)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back