Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help: What formats do you normally use to export and share data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiocity

Materials
Mar 10, 2014
US
I'm looking at a project to digitize our collection of chemical properties data and put it into a shareable database, but after a bit of research, still couldn't get a definitive answer as to what is considered industry standard.

So far the closest I came across was ThermoML and wanted to see ask whether that's widely used, keeping in mind that eventually we may have to take a step 2 and convert it into the proprietary formats ASPENTech/ChemCAD uses later down the line.

Thoughts and opinions from the forum would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that for the large amounts of data required to store properties etc. for 2000 or more chemicals (which is about the number available in modern simulators) a xml file may result slow to load.
My actual software (Prode Properties) adopts proprietary formats but you can easily export in any format calling a few methods included in the software,
typically I use this feature in Excel and then export in any format supported by Excel.
May be you can adopt a similar methodology allowing users to create their own procedures for exporting data.

I would say it depends on why your end users are - if its authorities, academic users, professionals, clients, in-house users etc.

Some may already have a format some maybe dont even know what they would like to know?

Thank you for responding, it's for clients, and we have a mix of academic and profession users. I've only spoken with a few users so far and those I spoke with copy out the data manually today into their process simulation tools, so I wonder if there's a easier way.

And apetri, I was wondering if the methods included in the software you're referring to is only Excel, or have you seen this capability in other software as well? Thank you!

I have tested the methods in Excel and Matlab,
but of course you can use the same methods in any application accessing Prode Properties (as far as I know there are Windows and Unix versions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back