Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help, what is it? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYA92130

Civil/Environmental
Oct 2, 2023
US
I am doing a remodeling project to add floor in the 2 story living room. Homeowners provide a set of engineering plans. but I am having a hard time figuring out what is exactly for 2 11/18" x 11 7/8 FL. PLB meaning. it is enginnering wood beam? parrallam? TJI? I don't know what is "FL PLB" stand for.

Screenshot_2024-06-26_at_1.36.51_PM_rhp88r.png

The number in the hexagon is the beam number, which refers to structural calculations, which I don't have.
The number in the diamond is TJI 15, which is a legacy product by Trus Joist which no longer available.

I need to know what it is so I can determine if I can attach floor joist

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm guessing that "FL" means flush. And "PLB" means Paralam beam.

But the 2 11/16" doesn't make sense. I've never heard of beams with that thickness.

WHAT. A. MESS.

I see the "put absolutely everything on the plan-- no matter how unclear it is" approach in action. They really should have dropped the scale to 3/32" to really crowd stuff up, though. Why do people continue to pretend drawing paper costs as much as gold foil? Why did they ever? Why do a detail that shows something when you can add some abbreviation on the plan that nobody knows what it means 2 years later?

Do you have the structural general notes with the abbreviations or anything else nearby to help? That 2 11/16" is a puzzle, is it "shaved" along the length, versus a standard width, and if so, bloody why?

Your hexagon notes 10 and 8 have a similar notation nearby. Those look like they might be I-joists.

Rontheredneck.

I think you were right. I did find in Wayhauser, but funny thing is I can't find such product in their Fortweb software.
Screenshot_2024-06-26_at_3.08.11_PM_nijggx.png

DoubleStud said: "Why would you not use multi ply beam??"

Every place I've worked only carries 1 3/4" LVL. Carrying thicker beams is rare. (Although that may vary from one region to another)

We stock beams up to 48' long. If you carried 3 1/3" or 5 1/2" thick beams, can you imagine how heavy they'd be?

If you have 2 or 3 guys on a jobsite and need to set a 40' basement beam, the 1 3/4" thick members are a lot easier to handle.

And we only have to stock one thickness rather than 3 or more.

2-11/16" Parallam PSL was available in eastern markets on and off for a number of years. My understanding is that it is not currently available as a product for sale, but this product can also be resawn in thickness to achieve this size. I agree with the comments above that this is likely indicated a 2-11/16" PSL flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back