Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Air tight sealing in a consumer appliance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vighnesh2019

Mechanical
May 6, 2020
IN
Hello fellow engineers

I'm in real need of help with regards to this new consumer appliance I'm designing.
Basically, I need to completely seal an SS jar with a lid at the top and a blade assembly at the bottom.
Imagine a blender jar, but with an SS body.

I'm dealing with negative pressure, -75kPa = -10.9 psi = -0.75 bar = -0.74 atm.

I cannot use bearings on the blade shaft, only sintered bushes. O-rings, oil seals, gaskets and lip seals are possible options. A combination of these is quite possible
With these items, I don't know what parameters to consider for designing a proper sealing. I need a design that can be validated with calculations.
Another constraint is that the lifetime of the sealing needs to be considerable, i.e, 5-10 years.

Can you guys please help me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@compositepro Thank you for the response! let's consider 2-5 years lifetime then. it will be exposed to food (solid and liquid) and cleaning by water and soap, worst case dishwashers.Can you help me please?

Food service requires a sanitary seal. That mean that it must be cleanable so it does not breed bacteria. A tapered shaft inside a tapered hole can act as a seal and bearing. A teflon sleeve between the parts can reduce the need for lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back