Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with corrosion protection for steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinksalot

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2001
US
I am seeking a corrossion inhibitor for a use on 4130 and 4140 steels. Cadmium is the present product in use, but is no longer feasible due to bioenvironmental concerns. I need a coating that is either durable enough not to come off or scratch in rough handling environments, with sub-zero to desert heat cycling conditions, and high velocity air streams. Alternately, it needs to be easily serviceable so that technicians in the feild can reapply it to scratches. It needs to be bio friendly. And not prohibitively expensive, like TiN. I am treating flat plates and also bolts. Obviously, film thickness will be a concern with the bolts. Any help is much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This sounds like a job for inorganic zinc, depending only on how much wetness time the sufaces experience. If they are occasionally wet - as oppposed to immersed or wet most of the time - then an inorganic zinc coating will meet the requirements you posted. Hard, rugged, easy to maintain and wide thermal range durability. Look them up on to learn more about them

Try mechanical plating of zinc or zinc alloy initially followed by a chromate conversion coating, then a zinc rich paint such as zinc silicate (as above) for repair.
Keep away from electroplating on this type of steel as it can be susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back