Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with finding correct composite for musical instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

uilleann

Materials
Mar 29, 2008
US
I am trying to make a musical instrument from a composite material rather then using wood. The average density of the wood used for the musical instrument is between 0.8-1.4 g/cc. What would be a good way to go about finding a composite suitable for the job(something with similar density)while keeping it a do-it-yourself low cost project. If anyone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello

I know that some guys in UK made an "acoustic" violin with carbon fibres and epoxy resin. If I remember they used an autoclave system to manufacture the different components.
Maybe you should look for something like that.

I try to find the web page but I can't find the same web page that I found before.

BR,

Pedro

There was a UK university project which used carbon/epoxy for somethng like a cello or violin. However, looking at a google on carbon epoxy cello gets quite a few hits, including:

Carbon epoxy (and carbon/polyester and vinyl ester) comes out at around 1.50 to 1.6 g/cc depending on fibre volume.

Stiffness of quasi-isotropic material varies from 40-odd GPa to say 175 GPa for a really high modulus fibre.

Damping is hard to quantify, but it should be less damped than wood unless damping is added.

I'd be curious to see what that might amount to in acoustic terms.

From the look of it people are looking at this.

There are carbon fiber guitars out there.

This company is experimenting and not yet selling them, sells sound boards that are pretty thin, see below.

The material is composed of many laminations of resin-impregnated carbon fiber "skins" which are laid up in a special way. The lay-up is then heat-pressed to a 1/16 to 1/32-inch thickness. The process yields an enormously strong, stable and light material that will never creep or crack.

kch

uilleann (Materials)
You do not say what type of musical instrument you are attempting to make.
The requirements for a woodwind instrument are quite a bit different than those for a stringed instrument.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back