Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help with macro make a million dxfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwdevotee

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2009
US
I've got a stack of DDT requests sitting on my desk that's about 3 inches thick and was hoping for some help writing a macro to do the heavy lifting. I already have a macro that will go through a directory of parts and open them sequentially. I also have a macro to save an entire directory of drawings to DXF. What I need help with is the middle part. I need to have the macro select the largest surface of the part, then insert that view into a new drawing based on a defined template. Can that be done? Does anyone have any code snippets that could help? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These are simple 2.5D parts. Basically gusset plates, bearing plates, and other such simple shapes. There's just a lot of them.

From my experience, we did something similar.
It turned out to be quicker for us to generate each 3D model and drawing from scratch.
Once the first one is made, a template was created, then 'save as' new name. The parts were replaced using SW Explorer.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

This looks like something I could probably help you out with, although these days I've mostly moved my macro-writing over from a pro-bono structure to a fee-based business model... Makes the wife a bit more amenable to me coding away from my real job... :)

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Thanks for the reply's all. I talked to my boss and we're looking at hiring it out, so I'm just writing a spec now. Thanks again.

Handleman, PM me your info and I'll try to get you on the distribution list.

I would PM you... However, that capability is not available on this forum.[bigcheeks]

engineerville is my spot on the gmail service though.

Hopefully that's clear enough for a human to decipher, but too complicated for a bot...

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

hey handleman, any chance that you coud explain about a couple macros (not so easy ones preferrably) that you wrote, what do they to (so that i and others could have a couple of nice starter projects)? no need to paste the code, just a description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back