Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with making a flexible assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuebel

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2016
CA
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and to solidworks.

I want to make a gear subassembly with two axles and meshing gears. However, the first part inserted in the assembly (an axle) becomes rigid, and so when the final mate (a mechanical gear mate between the two gears) is made, of course the whole assembly is rigid. Is there any way I can allow the first axle added to rotate so that the gear assembly will rotate as it would in real life? Or will this assembly function properly once this subassembly is inserted into the larger assembly? I understand that subassemblies can be solved as flexible, but this is simply an assembly of a series of parts, and those options are greyed out.

Thanks very much in advance, if any clarifications are necessary, please ask.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first part in an assembly is automatically set Fixed. You can change it to Floating, but then it will be truly floating, in all directions. Your solution is to insert one of the fixed parts first, like maybe a bearing. Then insert the axle and mate it concentric to the bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back