Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Nozzle Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

GheorgheCristian

Petroleum
Oct 10, 2015
RO
Good day. I am in need of a lot of assistance if anyone pleases. This is my first time with nozzle pro from PRG so i have a few questions .
First of , the dates of the problem : I need to design a pressure vessel ( design pressure = 35 bars, design temperature = 165 degrees Celsius , MDMT = -31 degrees Celsius) that has a boot ( because the boot is 660 mm in diameter and the vessel is 813 mm in diameter i used a forged barrel).
The vessel has to be designed according AD2000+PED with EN 13445-3 16.5 calculation for local loads.
The vessel is NOT in cyclic service.
The material for vessel shell is P355NL1 ( EN 10028-3) and for the boot is P355QH ( EN 10222-4).
Since the diameter of the boot divided by the diameter of the vessel is bigger than 0.5 , a finite element analysis is in order.
Attached you will find the file from nozzle pro.
My questions are as follow :
1 - Because the materials do not exist in the nozzle pro database , the mechanical characteristics have been introduced by hand . Hot allowable stress , hot yield stress have been introduced at design temperature ( 165 degrees Celsius).
Is that all right?
2 - What are the values to be introduced in the nozzle inside/outside temperature and shell inside/outside temperature in the loads tab? Because if i put the design temperature and MDMT the stresses are very high .
3 - In options tab - ASME Code i checked the boxes that says " Include S1+S2+S3 for Code operating case " and " Include bending as local primary for S1+S2+S3 " . Is that all right? Paragraph 5.1.1.1 says " Detailed design procedures utilizing the results from a stress analysis are provided to evaluate components for plastic collapse, local failure, buckling, and cyclic loading." so i thought it will provide a better analysis .
If there are any more comments besides my questions please fell free and tell me. I came here to learn.
Any insightful responses will be much appreciated .

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c8cef9c6-5711-4648-846d-8ceb5bd9e67f&file=Boot.nozzlepro
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back