Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help With Reducing Adhesion With Casting Tooling for Zinc & Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandwhiteg3

Computer
Nov 22, 2008
US
I am trying to prepare some casting tooling to cast zinc and/or aluminum. My goal is to cast a shallow parabolic dish, approximately 70 cm diameter. I have at my disposal a friend who's an expert metalworker, but he doesn't know casting, and I'm not entirely sure what I want them to produce to meet my goals.

My thought is to produce something similar to two identical and very heavy weight parabolic dishes with a small spacer around the rim equal to the thickness of the finished dish. We would pre-heat them both, pour molten metal into the lower half, then set the top half on top of the bottom half and allow it to cool very gradually.

We've tried simulating this using smaller steel commercial parabolic dishes, but we found the metal would adhere... to the point where it basically soldered the dishes together.

What kind of surfaces should I be looking at as a casting surface for zinc and aluminum? A specific steel? Stainless steel? How smooth should I make it? What about release agents?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the die mold material? You can use cast iron. If there is an issue of metal sticking or adhering to the die. You are advised to contact nearest foundry consumablee dealer. Dykote or some such trade name material is available. You need to apply this on the surface of the die before pouring liquid metal onto it.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Edison

The surface does not need to be very smooth, just not rough enough to trap metal. A coating is the only way to do this. Generally they use ceramic slurry for the coating. You coat and then dry.
Unless your part is very thin you shouldn't need much pre-heat. Put the two parts together and then pour the molten metal into the gap. You will have trim the top edge afterward.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back