Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help with Setting Up Solver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechowl

Mechanical
May 9, 2009
CA
If Y is known, how can this be setup to solve for l?

find_l_vx5anf.png

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Greg!

I must admit my knowledge in this area has not been used for many many years, and to add I'm very new to MathCAD.

I am playing with the FOR and WHILE loops right, and despite the examples online I'm a bit lost. Can you elaborate how to set this up?

This is from a paper that proposes a procedure for determining the capacity of a surge bin between two machines based on their rates, availability, etc.

So here's how I did it in Smath, a very similar program to Mathcad. You can see why I am confused- the grayed out section would give the L you want, but since all values of E were negative it is no good. You need to reset L to 0 or delete the active while loop to use the second one.

engtipsloop_smath_nmuseq.png

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Have you tried graphing the equation? Keeping E as a function of L, with increasing L, the graph =<0.E(2)= -6.373, after which a step is seen, giving -14.273 and, with increasing L, the curve goes negative rapidly. Looks as though the solution is highly dependent on your given Y.

Thank you to all for your commentary and input. If either of you are interested in seeing the paper that describes this procedure please email me at mechowl1980@gmail.com

Maybe it will be helpful to understand this equation. I have two identical papers printed by two separate publishers and the equation in one of them is missing a ( which leads me to believe there is a small possibility the equation is incorrect. Anyways I'm stuck too.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back