Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with shear stress problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechdesign2k4

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2008
US
I have an object that is secured in a dovetail joint which prevents the objects movement in the Y and Z planes. The object has a keyway that runs perpendicular to the dovetail. I would like to lock this object via a bar that runs thru the keyway. How would I size the appropriate bar for the job. I assume thickness of the bar as well of length and depth of engagement is required... Where do I start????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain, or any good machine design textbook (Shigley, Mitchell). Keys will see both bending and shear stresses, and peak stresses vary across the faces of the key. The rule of thumb is to be conservative (factor of 4 or better), especially if the key/keyways may be subject to frequent disassembly and re-assembly.

Thanks All,
The PDF that was attached waas of great help. fi11-4(a) best represents the calculation. I can plug in the numbers, but what does the answer tell me. Material is 6061-t6, key is 5mm W x 6mmH x 12mm L. Force is 300g x 500G's- 150kg/mm^2. What am I comparing the number to understand if its an acceptable stress or not? And, is this called acceptable working stress? Thanks for all the help!

Hi mechdesign2k4

The allowable stresses are the yield stress divided by some suitable safety factor and similary the maximum shear stress could be the yield stress/4 giving roughly a safety factor of 2.
You then calculate the stresses due to crushing and shear as detailed in the link I gave you.
Finally you compare the allowable stresses with those you have just calculated and the calculated stresses should be less than the allowable stressses.
Here is another site detailing more keyway calculations:-

I am confused with your 300g * 500G,force is measured in Newtons, what you are calling force as units of kg/m^2 thats units of pressure or stress.
Can you please explain your situation more clearly and we may be able to help you further.

desertfox

Hi mechdesign2k4

The formula which you need to see what the shear stress is:-

F/(12*5)mm^2 based on your keyway dimensions where F is the load.

for crushing bearing stress you need F/(3*12)mm^2 based on your keyway dimensions.

F is the force the key and keyway needs to withstand, both these stresses when calculated should be less then your allowable stress, your allowable stress for ex:-

allow shear stress = 276/2 = 138Mpa

allow bearing stress = 386/2 = 193 Mpa

You need to decide your factors of safety as you know more about what the keyway and key does in terms of its application.
A word of caution both the key and the keyway will be subject to the load F so you need to make sure the keyway material and not just the key material can withstand the load.
Finally I assume from your diagram that this key and keyway are not in a circular shaft?

desertfox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back