Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help with Solid Geometry from Facet Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKahmer

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2013
US
Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile but every time I'm on here, you guys help me out immensely, so I figured I'd give it a go.

I'm working on a project that's utilizing the 3D geometry of my own arm. I'm using a 3D3 Scanner to get my arm geometry, which I then planned to export out, and design around in CREO 2.0. The issue I'm running into is that there are some large holes in the geometry due to the nature of the scanner. I've exported it as an .stl, and then imported it into CREO, with the hopes of filling in the holes, with the end goal having the arm as a solid. I don't need to be able to edit the arm geometry, I just need to be able use it, for example projecting a sketch onto it. Can anybody help me out with this? My most recent job was all done with NX, so I haven't had any CREO experience in awhile.

As always thanks guys.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At least take it through MeshLab to smooth it out a bit. Also look at FreeCAD to import STL and export STEP.

Blender is another app that can work with STL meshes, but that's a bigger jump.

So I got it through MeshLab, and got rid of the holes in the mesh. Cleaned it up a little. I'm now in FreeCAD trying to export it as a STEP and I'm getting the error "XXXXXX is not a shape, export will be ignored." At least I'm a little closer!

Try blender out it's freeware and has a quite impressive list of importer exporters and works on Linux, Mac an Windows. Blender can also open Wavefront .obj types that creo and most other CAD packages do.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back