Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help with steel spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyke

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2002
Hello:

I need to manufacture a part that is made from AISI 1050 IHCP steel. What is IHCP? This part gets chrome plated and is used in a hydraulic accumulator as a piston rod.

Thanks in advance.
Eyke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like this is a manufacturers spec. for a steel rod stock that is already chrome plated for piston rod use. My guess for IHCP would be Induction Hardened, Chrome Plated.

How does one machine rod that has already been induction hardened and chrome plated? Or do you machine the part and then induction harden and chrome plate?

Thanks.
Eyke

Depending on how hard the material is you may be able to machine as normal, or you would have to grind.

Your best bet is to give the finished size that you need for the piston rod to your supplier and let them give an exact piece. They will machine, harden, grind, and plate for you sending you a rod with the exact dimensions you require.

James:

We'll have to have the rod machined first. There are threads on either end, a step in the dia and an O-Ring groove. I guess take the 1050 rod, machine, then send out for heat treatment and plating.

Cheers!
Eyke

Dear Eyke;
If it is possible to substitute a material here, I would call local suppliers in your area for precision ground shafting AISI 1045 and machine that, then harden and plate if required. 4140 in also another popular choice if a tougher material is required. It is possible that the material IHCP is incorrectly specified. But there certainly are suppliers of piston rod material out there, thomson industries makes stainless steel pg shafting for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back