Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with units in thermal analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielrojas

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2011
Hi everyone,

I m making a transient thermal analysis and i need to know what are the units that i need to use to make everything fine. Something like this:

Units: N,mm
Length = mm ??
Force = N ??
Mass = kg ??
Time = second ??
stress = MPa (N/mm^2) ??
Energy = J ??
Density = kg/mm^3 ???
Conductivity = J/(s.mm.C) ???
Specific Heat = J/(kg.C) ??
Body heta flux= ????
Film coefficient (for convection) = ??

Can anyone say to me how i need to put this units. I really really! need help with this, i would be very apreciated. Thanks

PD: it would be very helpfull if someone can put that same list above with the corrects units. Thanks again

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your units are ok. For conductivity you can replace J/s by Watts (W) and the corresponding units for film coefficient would be W/mm^2 C etc.

Thank for the help corus,

I have others questions now.
First at all, i am making an analysis when the thermal properties are changing with temperature (Conductivity and Specific Heat). I need to know where i can find this for a welding procedure with electric arc.

Another question is that i am using conductance for the interaction and i need to now how i put the conductance when is changing with time. I think this need to be consistent with my Conductivity property in the material that change with time.

Conductance - Clearance-Temperature

Another question is that i had never used the film coefficient that change with time, for your experience it´s make a lot of diference ?

Thanks for your help.

PD: The material is steel

Atte. Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back